US to suspend visa processing for 75 countries starting next week.
The United States will temporarily halt processing of some immigrant visa applications from 75 countries next week, pending a review of how applicants are evaluated for the risk of reliance on public assistance.
According to an internal memo obtained by media outlets, the U.S. State Department instructed embassies and consulates to suspend final decisions on immigrant visas starting January 21. The pause allows officials to review screening practices under existing immigration laws, with a focus on the “public charge” rule.
This suspension will only affect immigrant visa applicants. Most travelers, including those attending the 2026 FIFA World Cup, will not be impacted, as the pause does not apply to tourist, business, or short-term visas.
A State Department spokesperson said the suspension aims to prevent system abuse by denying entry to applicants likely to require public benefits.
The full list of affected countries has not been released. Reports say the memo includes Somalia, Russia, Afghanistan, Brazil, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Nigeria, Thailand, and Yemen. The State Department said the review will continue until officials are sure vetting standards are applied consistently.
Somalia has drawn attention over alleged fraud in Minnesota’s social services programs. An online video raised concerns about child care fraud in Somali communities. State and local officials disputed these claims, noting that none of the facilities shown were formally accused of wrongdoing. Federal authorities continue to review the broader allegations.
President Donald Trump also faced criticism for recent remarks about Somali immigrants. Earlier this week, the administration announced it will end Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Somalis in March. This decision could affect about 2,400 people living in the U.S.
The visa pause follows guidance issued last November to consular offices. Staff worldwide were told to apply stricter screening under the public charge provision. Visa officers must deny applications if they believe someone will likely rely on public welfare programs after entry.
For travelers, students, and short-term visitors, officials stress that normal visa processing for non-immigrant travel will continue without interruption, ensuring that the majority of international movement remains unaffected by the new measure.

